REFLECTOR: center spar strength, dynafocal engine mount, a promisi ng engine

Fred Kerfoot fredkt46 at juno.com
Wed May 14 17:28:53 CDT 2008

-- <doug.holub at tx.rr.com> wrote:
Can I drill holes through the back of the spar to run the fuel line and alternator cable through the firewall? Isn't the strength of the spar in the caps?

If drilled in the area of the firewall, a couple of small holes would not reduce the strength in any significant amount.  Be sure provide adequate chafe protection on items passing through.

Also, is there a trick to lining up the holes in the type 1 dynafocal mount? I can only get one 7/16" bolt to fit. I've got 3/8" bolts in the other three holes.

Make yourself a bolt starting pilot by grinding the threaded end of proper diameter bolt to a smooth bullet shape and cutting the head off.  Start the pilot through the holes then push it all the way through with the proper bolt.  A little WD40 helps.  Be sure the pilot is short enough to go ALL the way through. (Don't ask me how I know.)  Also, I use bolts that are drilled for a cotter pin.  I put a length of safety wire through the hole.  It helps starting the pilot and keeps it from getting lost when it comes out the other side.
Sometimes tightening the top bolts then letting engine sag against the lower mounts helps getting the lower bolts started.
Fred K