REFLECTOR: Epoxy Dye

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Mon May 12 12:30:56 CDT 2008

I like to use epoxy/microballoons for fillets and general filling because of
the light weight of the substance.  However, because of the light color
(almost white) of this mixture, it is very difficult to see air bubbles when
glass is laid on top.  Air bubbles and epoxy/microballoons are about the
same color.

Flox or Cab-o-sill yield a much darker mixture and consequently it is much
easier to differintiate the light colored air bubbles from dark fill.
But....the fill is heavier.

I had the brilliant idea that I would solve this conundrum by simply dyeing
the micro with food coloring.  But then I thought food coloring is water
based (I think).  Water and epoxy would probably not do well together!

That brings me to the question, does anybody know of a dye or some other
method of darkening the epoxy/micro mixture without adding weight?

Brooke