REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering

len.baxter at gm.com len.baxter at gm.com
Wed May 7 15:39:56 CDT 2008

Thanks Chuck..... I'll bank on your experience, add the nose lock and not
worry !!!

Len Baxter
XLRG

"Chuck Jensen" <cjensen at dts9000.com>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
05/07/2008 04:14 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc

Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering

Not to worry.  Landing in a crab in the preferred method, not a slip.  As
soon as the mains touch, the nose swings right around for alignment before
the nose ever touches down, so not an issue.  I can't imagine landing nose
wheel first.  I suppose its possible, but if one did, having a locked nose
wheel would be the least of the problems.

One can actually turn off the runway with the nose wheel locked.  The
angular change isn't much to hit a high speed taxi way and a couple taps
of the brakes will do it.  A 90L taxi way turn would be a little tougher.
During take off roll, aileron and/or brake tap will keep you aligned, even
the the pin engaged.  It's only when you get slow and on the ramp does it
become almost impossible to steer with the pin engaged.

Works very well indeed and there is simply nothing to be concerned about
in that regard, since I've explored about every bad landing configuration
imaginable and the nose gear pin is "all good."

Chuck Jensen