REFLECTOR: Brake performance

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed May 7 07:33:13 CDT 2008

I've bled my Matco equiped Rg starting from scratch three times. Never
raised the gear to do it but I do set the nose wheel up about a foot,
this helps the bubbles travel up to the master cylinder. I pump very
aggressively with a one pint oil can at the wheel cylinder for about 8
strokes, check things and repeat until no bubbles are seen in the master
cylinder. I put a plastic sandwich bag under the master cylinder to
catch the overflow of fluid.

They aren't rock hard but do work very well. Never had a problem in 450
hours of flight at high altitude airports with lots of weight. I may try
raising the gear half way and see if that will eliminate the slightly
soft feel at the top of the brakes.

Scott