REFLECTOR: Velocity Views R.I. P.

Greg Poole greg at pooledresources.com.au
Thu Mar 20 00:42:06 CDT 2008

Think I can answer your question Alex.. While I too opened the mailed copy
of VV with anticipation, the factory made it quite clear over a long period
of time that not enough past and present builders were subscribing to
Velocity Views to continue with it without the factory subsidising it (or
perhaps.....further subsidising it?). Regular pleas (it became so
repetitive!) to subscribe were in numerous editions from Rick, Duane and
Scott Swing....but the numbers apparently continued to dwindle & there was
complaints about cost.

I liked VV (but not as much as the web based version). The cost of overseas
postage for a B & W newsletter that effectively had the same numerous
repeated pages of exactly the same advertising every edition (& promoting
fly ins & events that weren't relevant to us overseas guys), made it
expensive for the limited pages we had an interest in (not that I wasn't
interested in factory fly-ins and events)....sooooo, I really welcomed the
web newsletter! - not only because of the use of colour and much clearer
pictures than VV but it also meant that everyone could get it gratis, &
without delay. This should have made for even better circulation.. I was
also aware that quite a few, including myself were not happy (in principle)
that the only way to obtain advice of factory kit plan changes (KPC's) were
by subscribing to VV - which seemed extortionate and was not in the interest
of safety in terms of wide distribution of safety directives to all the
target builders.

By abandoning the printed version, Lavoie did not have control of
circulation and would have had to be entirely funded by the factory, so Rick
departed and it appears continuation of the web newsletter ran out of steam
- due principally I believe to lack of additional outside material being
contributed. I reckon it would be extremely hard to continue to produce
quality content when you've done stories on events, developments & everybody
at the factory including the factory cat!

There was one other advantage of VV hardcopy - how many times would you take
your PC to the can as opposed to a magazine or newsletter??

Greg in Sydney.
greg at pooledresources.com.au