REFLECTOR: Why you don't want to be overweight on landing....

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Mar 17 22:47:11 CDT 2008

Agreed.  Kinetic energy must be converted to heat in order to stop.

So, why is it that the Clevelands perform better?  Do they have a higher
thermal mass?  Does the brake material ablate away, throwing off the
high temp caliper bits?

We have sodium cooled rods which I find a dubious benefit (would like
for someone to explain that one to my satisfaction).  However, we don't
have sodium cooled rotors.  Seems like phase change from solid to liquid
would do wonders for brake capacity.