REFLECTOR: wing-winglet layup C

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Mon Mar 17 17:44:48 CDT 2008

Andy Millin wrote:
> Steve,
>
> You pretty much nailed the situation.  I hadn't downloaded the most recent
> version of the manual.  I understand better now what you were asking.

So I had said yesterday that I was going off to add the cave and
complete layup C. However when I went to the hangar and realized the
shape the cave must have to clear the rudder bellhorn I didn't do it.

I never could really detect the shape of the cave in your photos and
when Andy Ellzey sent his I started to realize it but it wasn't until
I went to make it that it finally sunk in.

What I realized is that the glass the covers the cave is completely
useless as far as the strength of that joint. The glass there can't be
loaded until the 14 inches of layup C glass over the foam fails and
the rudder heels over enough for the cave glass to straighten. Of
course by the time that happens you are in serious trouble.

I decided to wait and call the factory today and verify what I
concluded. I did that today and they agreed that the glass from layup
C over that cavity is basically cosmetic. Which explains the drawing
change.

So I think the story here is that the drawing 2-28 shows the simplest
way of doing the glass and that probably the layup schedule for layups
C and D should not use the same width glass.  Worst case you can
simply cover the cavity with the glass schedule in the manual and then
after the fact simply cut the glass so that the cavity is open and the
rudder horn can fit into position. [Noel this also means that that
pain of redoing this is even more painful since the simpler fix was to
cut the glass away :-( ]

I'm thinking that what I'm going to do is trim the glass so it doesn't
cover the cavity but is still as strong as possible over the 14"
section and still have a nice taper of edges so that finishing works
nicely.

> I'm glad the pictures were a help.  I love your pictures!

Thanks. I reaaly need to add an index like you have so you can see
stuff by sections. Someday...

> The pic of your plane (wings on) in the loft ready to swoop down on the
> Tiger is sweet!!!
>
> I love the idea of cutting holes in the roof for the winglets.  That way
> "Fat Cat Air" will have a hangar with ears!  :)

I'll be sure to send a photo the the list. I don't know if it will
look as interesting as Doug's xmas photo but still it should be pretty
funny. It would have been a lot better to build a 16' hangar though...

> I hope you have a good building weekend.

Actually I pretty much bailed it for the weekend and watched the ACC
tournament instead. That turned out pretty good so I guess I'm happy.

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531