REFLECTOR: IO-390

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:40:24 CDT 2008

I asked Mahlon Russell of Teledyne Mattituck (their tech expert) about the
IO-390 engine that they have for sale (see http://www.mattituck.com/, click
on Experimental Engines) for about $32k.  Here is his answer:

" The IO-390 has the same footprint as the 200 HP IO-360-A1B6, except the
prop governor mounts on the front left half of the crankcase, rather then
the rear of the accessory housing. If you are considering an angle valve
Lycoming style engine in the 200HP range, the 390 is really the only way to
go. As you have already noticed, it is significantly less money to acquire
and has the additional 10 HP. I can see no reason the 390 wouldn't work for
you, in every aspect as compared to a 200HP engine, as long as the governor
location isn't an issue for your cowling/nacelle design.
"

Any thoughts on this?  Can one just bolt an IO-390 instead of the 200HP
IO-360?  Can one just use the engine kit provided by the Velocity factory,
or one needs something else?

Thank you,
Grigore