REFLECTOR: Alternative engines

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Mar 14 20:50:33 CDT 2008

The biggest issue I see with the LT1 usage is in dealing with the extra

weight. Conservatively, the engine is about 100 lbs over an IO540 plus

about another 60 lbs for coolant and heat exchanger plus 80lbs for gear

reduction and about another 25lbs in a beefier engine mount. Also have

to deal with a longer arm due to the prop and gear reduction being

further back. Is a whole bunch of ballast needed in the nose to compensate??

Wha?  Coolant is about 20-25 lbs (my rotary has 21 lbs of coolant in the
system), aluminum radiator about 8-9 lbs, reduction drive 45lbs, and no
reason for the mount to be any heavier that one for a IO540.  I don't know
how much heavier the LY1 is than an IO540, but an aluminum block V6 is
certainly lighter.

My all up 265 hp rotary is lighter than a comparable Lyc.

And while we're on the subject, why does the myth about insurance keep
coming up.  I had no trouble getting insurance for my airplane; and I know a
lot of guys with auto conversions - none that I know of had problems getting
insurance.  Basically, if the underwriters are covering Velocitys, then they
will cover a Velocity with an auto conversion.

Al