REFLECTOR: Weight and Balance

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Fri Mar 14 17:33:09 CDT 2008

I would really like to get some example of weight and balances for other
XL's that have fixed pitch props (I've got a parallel valve 540 with a
Catto).  I've done my W&B, and although the total weight seems
reasonable, I'm coming out very nose heavy, and my test pilot (Dave
Bertram) says his RG can fly with 4-200lbs guys in it (and he flys with
40 lbs of ballast in the nose solo)....  My nose weight is over 100 lbs
when empty, and my empty arm is in the the flight box, and apparently
the empty arm should be well aft of the flight envelope.

Brett