REFLECTOR: Recommended Tools for Building a Composite Aircraft

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 14 10:30:02 CDT 2008

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the game.

What you'll need to build your Velocity...  Please read with a smile.

	Determination (50 gallon drum with dispensing pump)
	Tenacity (Stainless steel, billet machined, high compression, max
performance, industrial strength).  You can't live the life you were living
and finish the airplane
	Joy of building. (all you can lay your hands on, get it wherever you
can)  There is too much to be done if you aren't enjoying it.  This is
supposed to be fun damn it!
	Clever intellect.  The manual will tell you how it should go
together.  It WILL NOT tell you how you're going to flip a wing by yourself.
Hee hee.
	Faith (anodized, variety of lengths and sizes)  The manual will tell
you to "cut a hole" and you will scratch your head and wonder "is this the
right spot?" ... faith
	Spousal support (minimum 25 cubic yards)  If Momma ain't happy,
ain't nobody happy ... really.
	Epoxy and cloth (more than came with your kit)

I think that makes up the Minimum Equipment List.

As for tools, each builder finds his own favorites.  The glass is not hard
to work with.  I think you will find you will spend more time figuring out
what you need to cut and where, than it takes to cut it; no matter what tool
you are using.

I bought the full build kit and my airframe is pretty much done.  I never
bought an air compressor and don't feel like I was intentionally burdening
myself.  Really, looking back at the bigger challenges, I can't say "I
really wish I could have cut that piece faster."  Everyone's mileage will
vary.  I'm sure there are builders that are rolling their eyes and thinking
I am a nut job; which I probably am.

I like the Permagrit stuff.  It stays sharp.  I think it is a great value.

Get a good shop vac with a "dry wall" type dust filter.  I bought a high hp,
small form factor.  It allows me to take it into the plane when I want.

I never bought an epoxy pump.  I use a gram scale.  I keep the resin in the
warmer and keep the hardener on the table and out of the light.

I have quite a few of the items that Alex listed.  The stainless ruler will
come in very handy.  I use it all the time.

The digital level is nice, but your kit was not manufactured to those
tolerances.  As you build, you will level the fuselage several times.  To do
so, you will have to decide where you will take the measurement and measure
from that spot every time.  If you just put the level somewhere in the same
vicinity, you'll get a new reading.  I can only recommend consistency and a
strong desire on your part to be precise.  Don't be perfect, you want to
finish this thing.  :)

When you use a tool with an electric motor, i.e. Dremel, Drill, Saber Saw,
etc.  Use the shop vac to clean the dust out of it.  Get it running and hold
the shop vac to the cooling openings.  It will suck the dust out of the
motor and it will last much longer.  If you leave the dust in...

A big cloth cutting table is nice, if you have the room for it.  I too
bought the pizza cutter for the cloth.  It cut the cloth nicely.   It also
had a tendency to cut into the table.  Over time the cloth started snagging
on the table.  I went back to scissors.  Your mileage will vary.

I don't know if you could have too many tools.  If you have it, it could be
just the thing.  I bought my tools as I needed them.  At least I know I used
it once.  ;)

I wasn't kidding with the first list.  If you have those things, you are
well on your way.

Best of luck with your project!

Andy