REFLECTOR: Alternative engines

doug.holub at tx.rr.com doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Fri Mar 14 10:08:10 CDT 2008

Eight years ago, I swore I wouldn't put a Lycosaurus in my 21st century airplane and sold the mid-time Lycoming that came with my second-hand kit. But the new kit engines from Superior and ECI look like a huge improvement. Better airflow, dynamically balanced VAR crankshafts, cold air induction, improved lubrication on the camshaft, nickel-carbide cylinders. Add fuel injection, electronic ignition, and engine monitoring that allows you to run lean of peak, and you've got an easy-to-start, smooth running, fuel efficient power plant that is 10 times faster and easier to install than an auto conversion.

But it's all about "education and recreation", and you've got to admire the engineering and craftsmanship that are going into these auto conversions. That's just not for me. I'm not a motor head, and I'm very thankful that the factory provides a firewall forward kit for my engine.

Doug Holub
Irving, Texas