REFLECTOR: Recommended Tools for Building a Composite Aircraft

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 23:27:00 CDT 2008

Tom,

There are a lot of things that make it easier to build your project, I can't say which ones are the most important. If you purchased a slow build kit like I did, you will need more things than if you bought some of the fast build options. For slow build option of building your wings, I built myself a 4' X 16' flat and level table to use to jig up my wings and canard to get them good and straight. I built it using the new composite 14" I beams that they use in new homes for floor joists. These beams are super straight and strong. I covered it with 5/8 particle board that I varnished to keep the moisture and anything else from penetrating the surface. The varnish also works well to allow your cloth to be moved on your table/cutting board without snagging everything. It also allows you to use one of the pizza type rollers (purchased from AS) to cut your cloth. I use scissors to cut my cloth very little, the roller and a good straight edge works much better.
 After I finished my wings and canard, I use the first 8 feet for my cutting board and the rest of the 8 feet for a work table. I wired electrical outlets on both sides of the tables to try to reduce running extension cords every where. I also use a miter saw and table saw to build all different types of jigs and spacer blocks to shore up most every big item that you build. I suggest that you don't waste your time trying to use doors like the manual suggests. You can build your table for close to what you will pay for a couple of straight doors. You also will need a good heat gun with at least a high and low settings. You can try the cheep ones (Harbor Freight) but they won't last. I am on my third one only because I could get another one under warranty. If you are interested I can send you a picture of the table. Be sure to purchase the epoxy pump with your kit. If well maintained each layup will have the correct ratio for good strong layups If you have
 never done any fiberglass work you should do the Velocity head start program or at least work with someone from your local EAA chapter that has. There isn't anything hard about it once you understand what you are doing and what you are looking at. This will be you and your family's life that you will be flying in. If built by the manual and your workmanship is correct it should be safe, which only leaves engine failure or pilot error. If you are unsure about something, ask this group or call the factory. Its better to be sure that you understand whatever process that you are trying to accomplish, so that you know that it is safe. There are a lot of guys on this forum that have web sites that show and describe their build process, look at all the pictures that you can find on the task that you are working on. This helped me a lot to know that I was understanding what I read in the manual. There are a lot of good books that you can buy, the first one that
 I suggest is Moldless Composite Homebuilt Sandwich Aircraft Construction 3rd Edition September 1983 from AS. This will give you the basics on the Burt Rutan design type of building that our Velocity follows. You can even still order the practice kit from AS as is mentioned in this book.

Andy Ellzey
2005 XLRG
80% complete 80% to go.