REFLECTOR: Alternative engines

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 22:24:43 CDT 2008

Well guys, you can take it with a little bit of salt but here are a few
words from someone that's done it.

Believe me auto engines in aircraft are not worth the effort.  I spent a lot
of time and government money seeing if auto engines could be used in
aircraft while working on some very special aircraft for them.  Not only are
they not meant to run in the conditions that aircraft do, the cost to modify
just to get them operating in aircraft is not worth it.  Just ask the people
at Honda.

Someone will come back and say the old VW was one that was used and
successful.  I'm afraid not.  By the time they got in the planes and working
they were completely re-engineered and they still didn't work all that
great.  Most came apart at the seams.  Auto engines are not meant to run at
a continuous high RPM and torsional loads as aircraft engines.  The
clearances are way to tight for this so doing causing more seizures then the
loose tolerances of the aircraft designed engines.

So if you are thinking about putting in a auto engine and strapping on a
gear box, I would highly recommend that you think aircraft all the way and
save yourself a lot of grief.  In the end you will spend more money and time
then if you just put in a good certified aircraft engine. Believe me, been
there and done that.  Got the cup and tee shirt to prove it.  Just build an
aircraft and not a half breed. I know this sound a little harsh but you may
loose a little sleep over it now but if you do go for an auto engine I know
you will loose a lot of sleep.

Also I was told by Falcon Insurance that you can't get insurance if you have
an auto engine in your plane.