REFLECTOR: Hanger Sky Lights

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Thu Mar 13 06:11:59 CDT 2008

There's a new skylight out that's the cat's meow.  It's carried in some Home Depot stores but not nationwide yet.  It's made of polycarbonate and has chamber channels running the length of the window.  The channels are formed by sandwiching the top and bottom sheets with 3/4" tall dividers about 1" apart.  The channel space creates a dead zone to cut down on convective heat loss.  The R value is pretty high (though I don't recall the exact number).  There's virtually no heat gain in the summer because of the coating...much like coated window glass.  The skylight diffuses the light so you don't get harsh light beams and heavy shadows.

The most interesting part is the strength.  It's the first skylight to pass the Florida hurricane impact--the 8'  2x4 shot with a direct hit.  They have a video that shows a skylight setting on the ground and a guy dropping a bowling ball from the roof of a 1 story building onto the skylight...it just bounces off.  You can beat on it with a hammer and not leave a dent.  Instead of the dinky 3"-4" metal flashing strip around the outside of the skylight to fasten to the cutout to prevent leaks, the skylights have an about 9" flexible plastic skirt molded into the sides of the skylight which goes back further under the roofing material--no roofing tar required.  They have a system for inserting the lights in metal buildings as well.

I know the guys that developed this product and its really seems quite an improvement over the skylight products on the market.  They give a multi-year guarantee on the product.  I assume they sell skylights directly but you can check with them.  Website is www. <http://www.cptsystems.com> cptsystems.com

Chuck Jensen