REFLECTOR: Hangar Sky Lights

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Wed Mar 12 21:04:02 CDT 2008

Tom & Mo Falls wrote:
> I’m building a new hanger after a move to SC and I’m anxious to get back
> to building my SERG. My current thought is to put 4 sky lights in the
> roof for natural light (2 each side). Is this a good idea or a bad idea
> for building/storing a Velocity?

I've got 6 sky lights in my 60x40 hangar in NC. In my case I ended up
heating and A/C'ing the hangar to build my Velocity. If I were not
doing that then they'd be an ok idea. As it is with A/C in my hangar
they turn out to be a huge portion of my heat load. [ My roof is
insulated and the walls are insulated 2x6 sheetrocked and insulated)].
Even without A/C they are a lot of heat load. So in SC you may well be
better off with just adding some metal halide lights for when you are
there an keep the heat load down most of the year.

As to the comment as to skylights being a leak waiting to happen. If
your hangar is a metal building with a corrougated fiberglass
skylights then leaks are not really a big deal as the construction is
really no different than the rest of your roof. In a regular house
type roof with a skylight inserted into it then yes I ageee there is a
lot to the leak waiting to happen comment.

--
Steve