No subject

Sun Mar 9 12:52:58 CDT 2008

hours<br>
even IN his airplane, with the other hours (I heard he claimed an actual =
of<br>
about 78 hours on the airframe very near the time of the crash) being =
flown<br>
with a co-pilot....usually Jan Eggenfellner, who accompanied him on =
his<br>
first and many subsequent flights. When one other builder stated to =
him<br>
during the time period when he was flying down to <st1:State =
w:st=3D"on"><st1:place
 w:st=3D"on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> after only a<br>
couple days since his his first flight, &quot;Dan, there's no way you =
could
have<br>
completed your flyoff yet.&quot; Dan's response was &quot;That's not =
what the<br>
logbooks say&quot;. It seems he didn't understand and appreciate quite =
how<br>
experimental his plane really was. There were at the time of the crash =
over<br>
110 other flying RV-10's with standard engines, and no fatalities. It's =
a<br>
fantastically smooth flying and stable airframe, that has no =
intrinsic<br>
negative flying qualities. The only thing it has that can get a pilot =
in<br>
trouble is a slick airframe, a constant speed prop for complexity, and =
a<br>
fast trim system at high speed.<br>
Please read the above and understand that it is not at all my intent =
to<br>
disparage Dan as a person. I think we're all mature enough to =
understand<br>
that a person can be a good person, but still have some negative traits. =
I<br>
just see this as a case of poor judgement leading to his own death. =
Also,<br>
in regards to being a Subaru equipped plane, I don't feel that a =
Subaru<br>
necessarily has to result in a lot of added risk in flying either. =
Even<br>
dead engines shouldn't make dead pilots in almost all circumstances. =
There<br>
is no reason why a choice of a Subaru should have to mean he was more =
likely<br>
to actually die in his plane. I do think though, that when you consider =
the<br>
above information, it doesn't speak well to the engine vendor in =
particular,<br>
regardless of if the engine was a factor in the crash. To release to =
a<br>
low-time pilot, an engine which less than 3 weeks prior had just had =
it's<br>
first flight with a turbocharger, and have it fail at that time too, =
really<br>
puts that pilot at risk. Add to the fact that the prop controller =
wasn't<br>
completed and the complexity it causes, and it's clear that the =
engine<br>
developer didn't always do things in the best interest of the =
customer.<br>
There are things that should be debugged by the builder, and things that =
are<br>
best left to the engine developer. Dan was not an engine builder. He<br>
bought an engine package, and thus he should be able to expect that =
the<br>
package wouldn't be given to him until some of the major things had =
been<br>
operational and tested. I'm sure knowing Dan that he insisted that he =
could<br>
handle flying it before it was tried and true, but a cautious and =
careful<br>
engine company would insist on safety first, and wouldn't have taken =
part in<br>
some of the highly risky activitiy.<br>
Hopefully this info can help put to rest some of the worries that many =
have<br>
been contacting me with. Your wives will benefit from the story too,<br>
because when you care enough to show them this info to ease their =
nerves,<br>
they will have a very good outside look at YOU as a builder and can help =
be<br>
your conscience as you move forward. Are you rushing things? Are you<br>
willing to take all the necessary safety steps? Are you going to be<br>
responsible enough to get transition training and be current before =
flying<br>
your airplane alone? Even the most non-aeronautical wife will quickly =
know<br>
if you match some of the negative traits described here. If so, take a =
good<br>
introspective look at yourself before you go too far. Remember, Dan is =
also<br>
the one who said that he felt he could set the gross weight anywhere =
he<br>
pleased, as long as he tested it. Are you really that cavalier about<br>
things?<br>
Build safe, fly safe, and maintain to high safety =
standards!</span></font><font
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C883C2.8F429A60--