No subject

Sun Mar 9 12:52:58 CDT 2008

even IN his airplane, with the other hours (I heard he claimed an actual of
about 78 hours on the airframe very near the time of the crash) being flown
with a co-pilot....usually Jan Eggenfellner, who accompanied him on his
first and many subsequent flights. When one other builder stated to him
during the time period when he was flying down to Florida after only a
couple days since his his first flight, "Dan, there's no way you could have
completed your flyoff yet." Dan's response was "That's not what the
logbooks say". It seems he didn't understand and appreciate quite how
experimental his plane really was. There were at the time of the crash over
110 other flying RV-10's with standard engines, and no fatalities. It's a
fantastically smooth flying and stable airframe, that has no intrinsic
negative flying qualities. The only thing it has that can get a pilot in
trouble is a slick airframe, a constant speed prop for complexity, and a
fast trim system at high speed.

Please read the above and understand that it is not at all my intent to
disparage Dan as a person. I think we're all mature enough to understand
that a person can be a good person, but still have some negative traits. I
just see this as a case of poor judgement leading to his own death. Also,
in regards to being a Subaru equipped plane, I don't feel that a Subaru
necessarily has to result in a lot of added risk in flying either. Even
dead engines shouldn't make dead pilots in almost all circumstances. There
is no reason why a choice of a Subaru should have to mean he was more likely

to actually die in his plane. I do think though, that when you consider the
above information, it doesn't speak well to the engine vendor in particular,

regardless of if the engine was a factor in the crash. To release to a
low-time pilot, an engine which less than 3 weeks prior had just had it's
first flight with a turbocharger, and have it fail at that time too, really
puts that pilot at risk. Add to the fact that the prop controller wasn't
completed and the complexity it causes, and it's clear that the engine
developer didn't always do things in the best interest of the customer.
There are things that should be debugged by the builder, and things that are

best left to the engine developer. Dan was not an engine builder. He
bought an engine package, and thus he should be able to expect that the
package wouldn't be given to him until some of the major things had been
operational and tested. I'm sure knowing Dan that he insisted that he could
handle flying it before it was tried and true, but a cautious and careful
engine company would insist on safety first, and wouldn't have taken part in

some of the highly risky activitiy.

Hopefully this info can help put to rest some of the worries that many have
been contacting me with. Your wives will benefit from the story too,
because when you care enough to show them this info to ease their nerves,
they will have a very good outside look at YOU as a builder and can help be
your conscience as you move forward. Are you rushing things? Are you
willing to take all the necessary safety steps? Are you going to be
responsible enough to get transition training and be current before flying
your airplane alone? Even the most non-aeronautical wife will quickly know
if you match some of the negative traits described here. If so, take a good
introspective look at yourself before you go too far. Remember, Dan is also
the one who said that he felt he could set the gross weight anywhere he
pleased, as long as he tested it. Are you really that cavalier about
things?

Build safe, fly safe, and maintain to high safety standards!

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C883C2.8F429A60

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
xmlns:ns0=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml">

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--[if !mso]>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
<![endif]-->
<title>Message</title>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"PersonName"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"country-region"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"State"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--a:link
	{mso-style-priority: 99
;}
span.MSOHYPERLINK
	{mso-style-priority: 99
;}
a:visited
	{mso-style-priority: 99
;}
span.MSOHYPERLINKFOLLOWED
	{mso-style-priority: 99
;}

 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:Calibri;}
h1
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	text-align:justify;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	layout-grid-mode:line;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Calibri;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:.5in .7in .6in .5in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Thank you.&nbsp; =

style=3D'font-size:

style=3D'font-size:

size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman"'>

<hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" align=3Dcenter tabindex=3D-1>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
size=3D2
face=3DTahoma><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'> =
reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] <b><span =
style=3D'font-weight:bold'>On Behalf
Of </span></b><st1:PersonName w:st=3D"on">Ron Brown</st1:PersonName><br>
2008 6:35
PM<br>
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PersonName
 w:st=3D"on">Velocity Aircraft</st1:PersonName> Owners and Builders =
list</st1:PersonName><br>
RV-10
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
Roman";font-weight:bold'>Fancy
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

Roman"><span
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>I don't mean to be preaching to the choir, =
but I think
there are some very valuable lessons here.&nbsp; In building our =
experimental
aircraft, we need to stay focused on the number one task - =
SAFETY!!!&nbsp; Make
sure the plane is ready to fly, the engine is thoroughly tested and =
checked
out, and that the instrument panel and glass panels are ready to =
fly.&nbsp; In
flying the plane the first few hours, we need to focus on flying the
plane.&nbsp; After&nbsp;verifying that the plane and the engine and the =
systems
are working properly, then we can tackle the glass panels =3D but do it =
on the
GROUND.&nbsp; In the air with a new airplane is not the time to try to =
figure
out all of the gee whizzes.&nbsp; What follows is a long read but very =
informative
in that this fellow apparently had more money than brains, and no =
reasonable
plan for sorting his new baby out.&nbsp; It cost him and his family =
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

Roman"><span
font
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman"'>

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>The link to the preliminary NTSB =
report on
this accident was just published on <a =
href=3D"http://www.vansairforce.net">www.vansairforce.net</a>.</span></fo=
nt><font
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'><a
href=3D"http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=3D20071120X01821&amp;key=
=3D1">http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=3D20071120X01821&amp;key=3D=
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>This is a news article regarding =
the
crash: <a
href=3D"http://www.sharon-herald.com/homepage/local_story_306095719.html"=
>http://www.sharon-herald.com/homepage/local_story_306095719.html</a></sp=
an></font><font
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>I forward this to you because as =
technical
and first flight advisors you may run into a similar situation.&nbsp; =
The
outcome, as described below, though tragic, provides a great opportunity =
for
all of us to learn from, which is why I thought it important for you to =
read.</span></font><font

10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:blue'>--------------</span></font><font =
size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:"Times New =

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>&nbsp;Subject: rv-10 crash<br>
A Tragic Case of Get-Done-Itis<br>
Regarding the first RV-10 fatal accident<br>
With the first RV-10 fatal accident now occurring, and a couple other =
cases<br>
of RV-10's being substantially damaged, there are many builders who =
have<br>
contacted me who are yet to fly their RV-10 who are very concerned =
about<br>
what kinds of issues there are that might cause such accidents. There =
are<br>
many people who have said that their wives, especially, were now =
very<br>
nervous about them building an airplane, worried that perhaps there =
was<br>
something wrong with the design. It affects people greatly when they =
see<br>
things like this, and some have the tendency to completely pull back =
from<br>
seeing what could be the joyful side of building and flying your own<br>
aircraft.<br>
We've known since the beginning that at some point, some day, =
statistically<br>
there would be a fatal RV-10 incident. That's the problem with<br>
statistics...you know without a doubt that a death at some point is<br>
inevitiable, but, is it REALLY? Based on piecing together a bunch of<br>
information on this first RV-10 accident, I really feel strongly that =
this<br>
accident in particular was not one that should have had to become a<br>
statistic. The RV-10 is a very good design, with very good handling<br>
qualities, and at the time of the first fatal had over 110 copies =
flying.<br>
The couple of cases of heavily damaged RV-10's were due to a couple =
factors,<br>
and interestingly, the couple that I know of were both owned and flown =
by<br>
someone other than the builder...they were build-to-order RV-10's. One =
was<br>
a door coming off in-flight that caused the initial damage, something =
that<br>
we all know is a possibility and hence is why Van's came out with their =
door<br>
latch warning kit that they supplied all builders with. The other was =
a<br>
case of pilot error on landing...something that can happen in any =
plane,<br>
although landing accidents, being at slower speeds, are probably less =
often<br>
fatal than all the other kinds. An RV-10 builder who builds their own =
RV-10<br>
is usually strongly encouraged by the RV-10 community to receive =
transition<br>
training before their first flight. This isn't to say that it could<br>
completely prevent a pilot from landing mishaps down the road, but<br>
personally, I believe it's a very good thing for all builders. When =
a<br>
non-builder buys an RV-10, there perhaps isn't quite the same amount =
of<br>
encouragement for them to attend transition training, as they may feel =
that<br>
they're just simply buying and picking up an airplane just like is done =
by<br>
many people every day. At any rate, the point is, given some basic<br>
instruction and familiarity, and a certain level of pilot proficiency =
and<br>
experience, there is nothing in regards to the airframe that really =
should<br>
have a serious bite to it, so from the accidents so far, all seem to =
be<br>
preventable, from my point of view.<br>
I would like to state a couple things up front. First, this is some =
fact,<br>
and some opinion. You're not reading an NTSB report, you're reading a =
case<br>
study of information that I've become familiar with, either directly or =
in<br>
some cases indirectly. Absolutely NONE of it is intended to reflect =
badly<br>
on Dan Lloyd as a person. He was a great friend of mine since almost =
the<br>
first day he posted on the now-defunct RV-10 Yahoogroup. I looked =
forward<br>
to flying with him as we both achieved our dreams of what an RV-10 =
could<br>
bring for us and our families, and it crushes my heart to know that =
the<br>
experience for his children is now saddened. Dan was a fine man, who =
was<br>
friendly to all, and has done a lot to help others along the way.<br>
Unfortunately, even good people do bad things, as we all know. It's =
been<br>
said that in any accident, there are many links leading to the =
ultimate<br>
incident, and that by just breaking one of these links, the accident =
could<br>
be prevented. Unfortunately, in this case, there were lots of links =
that<br>
were being built very strongly, some of which may or may not have played =
a<br>
part in the accident. While there will likely be some data available =
from<br>
the EIS and Air-Data computer via his Chelton screens if they survived, =
due<br>
to the lack of direct information in the minutes before the crash, and =
the<br>
very heavy destruction of the aircraft, there is also the chance that =
no<br>
solid determination will ever be made.<br>