REFLECTOR: battery

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 09:39:00 CDT 2008

Lou,

Do you need the weight of the battery size you now have to keep your CG
right? If so I would suggest a Recombinant Gas Battery from Concord. They are
identified by the part number RG.. such as RG-25 or RG-25XC

 _CONCORDE  AIRCRAFT BATTERIES from Aircraft Spruce_
(http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/fbpages/FBconcordebatt.php)

They are Sealed Lead acid batteries, but the technology is so much better
than flooded cell batteries. I can get into the design and all that, so ask me
if you need that info. The benefits are:

Sealed, No venting or weeping.
Much lower internal resistance in the battery = more power to your
systems/starter
Much longer life
Works fantastic in colder weather.

I replaced the battery in my Cherokee 235 with the RG-25. It cranks that
O-540 like you wouldn't believe, and I have never heard the battery get "tired".
It has been in there 3 years so far. I have to fly when it gets colder here.
Ok  not THAT cold, but the airplane is sitting in my driveway all night below
freezing. I have messed up and not primed the thing enough in that cold, and
it  just keeps on cranking... No problem.

They did a test cranking an IO-540. They put the batteries in a freezer.  The
RG battery had more cranking power after cranking 30 seconds than the
flooded cell battery had before cranking at all.

That would be my easy solution. Check locally for price and availability.  It
may be cheaper and faster than having Spruce ship it.

You can always pick a battery from B and C specialties:  _Batteries_
(http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?4X358218)

I am using two of their BC116 batteries in my Velocity. They are amazingly
small and powerful. I can crank my 340 HP Aluminum block V-6 Chevy with  just
one of them. It took some cranking when I first started  too since my fuel
injection idle circuit was out of adjustment.

Bottom line, My advice would be to check your connections and switch to a
Recombinant Gas Battery (don't let someone sell you a gell cell... it is NOT the
 same). I think you will be pleased.

Kurt Winker