REFLECTOR: Insulation?

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Jun 22 12:46:39 CDT 2008

Kurt,

The phenolic board, as shown in your photo, seems to be the standard treatment.  It is both a heat shield against radiated heat as well as thermal break against conducted heat.  Yes, the bolts may carry some heat through to the leg, but the conductance is still reduced by the thermal break board versus intimate contact.

One would expect aluminum would also act as an adequate shield against radiated heat.  Yes, it will conduct heat, but when one considers the radiated heat required to heat the AL plate and then for the plate to radiate the heat on to the legs, all the while losing a great deal of heat because of its large surface area, it seem intuitive that little radiant heat will reach the leg.

The AL plate is certainly more conductive than the phenolic board, but again, the large surface of the plate will act as a radiator to dissipate heat to the atmosphere, effectively reducing the heat conducted to the leg.  The phenolic seems the better choice, but apparently the AL has proven adequate.

Chuck Jensen