REFLECTOR: Main gear leg problems

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Fri Jun 20 11:38:34 CDT 2008

I just talked with the factory yesterday and I was told that I cannot
buy any parts unless I am a "customer".  Since I am not the original kit
builder the only way I can become a "customer" is to pay the $400.  I
can definitely understand the fee for support but I'm not really in
agreement with "parts" end of it.  And, I'm sure there's a little bit of
grey area between the two categories.  Since I am a DIY sort of person,
it is unlikely that I'll pay the fee unless I get into a real bind as
far as needing a specific part that I cannot find elsewhere.  I have an
A&P friend who is building a Cozy and he has been a real help as far as
maintenance is concerned.  The Cozy people have to build and source
everything from scratch since it's a plans built airplane.  The Cozy is
similar enough to the Velocity that, in many cases, I can source or
fabricate a part in the same manner as they do.

The Reflector has also been very helpful.  I enjoy reading the
discussions and I learn a lot from them.  Now I just gotta decide what
I'm gonna do with this gear leg.  I believe that I may be able to fix it
myself and fabricate some extra support for the leg when I'm done.  So
far, the idea of some sort of sandwich seems pretty good.  I could use
some thick aluminum or steel on each side of the leg which would be
bonded or fastened (or a combination of the two) to the leg to prevent
further sagging.  I also believe that if the original builder had
installed a good heat shield I wouldn't be having this problem now.

Dave

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG