REFLECTOR: Brake Lines

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 10:57:31 CDT 2008

Al,

I like your install!
I talked with the factory yesterday and explained my predicament. My brake
lines that came with the kit were about 2 feet short. This could be due to how
I  ran the rudder conduit when I built my own wings... but no big deal. I
mentioned  that I just wanted to make sure I had the right mix of parts.

The factory has the type "H" nylaflow. The wall thickness is about twice
that of regular nylaflow. Unfortunately, the catalogs do not offer type "H" and
some don't specify what it is at all. That is how I ended up with a roll of
type  "T".

Since I have already buried a brake line conduit in my  V,  I have decided to
stick with the factory method.
Seems like that works just fine for 95% of folks. I do plan on installing
Summit Heat shield to the tubing where it is exposed. I am also wrapping the
lower gear leg (within the wheel pant) with heat reflective tape.
My theory is that the heat rating of the tape is such, that if it starts to
come undone, I know I have heat issues to attend to. If not, I get a little
extra protection.

I am definitely going to keep some of the recommendations on hand and keep
an eye on things during my ground ops.

I am curious to know if the incident of the Nylaflow popping from the
ferrule was the correct Nylaflow.. or was it a mismatch like I ended up with.
Something to keep an eye on for sure.

By the time I finish the NACA exits in my wheel pants, I should have the  new
roll of Nylaflow and can put the brake lines in.

I'm really pleased with my "almost invisible" tire pressure doors that I
made in the whale pants.

Next:  blocking for paint.

 Kurt