REFLECTOR: Lay up c question

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Mon Jun 16 20:52:41 CDT 2008

Andrew Ellzey wrote:

> I made the rudder horn pocket on my wings also and I like the way it
> turned out. I don't agree that the glass over the pocket doesn't add any
> strength. If I ever build another pair of wings, I'll do it the same way
> again.

I'd like an explanation as to how it adds strength to the
winglet/attachement. Here's a simple thought experiment. Imagine layup
D is simply a hinge and there is no layup C at all. Then obviously you
can move the winglet towards the fuselage with no effort at all. Now
imagine that all you have for layup C is the portion of glass over the
bellhorn area. That piece of glass (except for maybe a very tiny
amount just aft of the foam, i.e. the most forward piece of glass) has
a bend in it so that the bellhorn can fit in the cave. So what happens
now when you apply force to the winglet trying to move it toward the
fuselage? It moves fairly easily (a short distance) until the glass is
stretched out straight and is finally in tension. So at that point it
does add strength. However in order for the winglet to be moved to
that position all the glass of layup C "forward of the rudder
bellcrank cutout" would have to tear. That's 15 or 16 inches of glass.
If it has torn so that the aft section of glass can load you are
already in serious trouble.

I think there is a reason why older manuals (and the video) describe
the cave and the current manual says "Keep layups forward of the
rudder bellcrank cutout". I did check with the factory and they said
you don't need the cave. Building the cave doesn't hurt although it
does seem to make accessing the connection of the cable to the
bellhorn less convenient.

So I guess that means Andy says digital and I say analog and Matt has
to make his own decision. :-)

--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531