REFLECTOR: Vne Revisited

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Jun 13 07:55:38 CDT 2008

VNE in GA powered airplanes is usually given in indicated airspeeds
because that is the kind of airspeed instrument we have.

Bill  is right that VNE for flutter is directly related to TAS and in
gliders and high speed airplanes is given as a TAS or reference to it.
Gliders have a sliding scale in indicated referenced to altitude and
temp, a poor mans tas scale.

There has been some great discussions on this on the VAN's forums.

Though I still think that John is right, the demonstrator hasn't hit the
VNE for flutter yet.  Not because the IAS was below 200 but because the
TAS was below the limit real limit.

Scott