REFLECTOR: Vne Revisited

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 21:05:14 CDT 2008

I would agree with John- just as a matter of principal- the indicated
airspeed is the force exerted on the pitot tube ( and flight surfaces )
irregardless of density, temp or humidity- it is the force of the fluid that
will cause flutter - in a vacuum, the aircraft would never reach VNE even
with Saturn 5 rocket propulsion since no matter how fast you were going, you
would still have a 0 airspeed reading. (of course the G-forces of Saturn 5
rocket propulsion would be another matter- might need to reinforce the seat
mounting hard points)