REFLECTOR: AirVenture Cup 2008

TimRhod at aol.com TimRhod at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 15:39:52 CDT 2008

Jon  My understanding is that the factory VNE was based on the fact  that
that's as fast as they had tested it.  At that time smaller engines  were the
norm and about 180KTS was the fastest the plane would go straight and  level.
Mine can go about 218 straight and level and I have tested it to  230 KTS in a
full power dive.  I did experience flutter on my left rudder  and had to
quickly pull up and pull power.  The flutter was violent and  shook me up quite a
bit.  I was anxious to get on the ground because at the  time I didn't know what
it was and didn't want to be in the air when something  came off.  A very
hard landing with to much nose up allowed my prop to hit  the runway thus
removing about a 1/2 inch.  I have since fixed the prop and  changed the incidence of
my rudder with factory advice and have again tested it  to 230 KTS with no
problem but now at about 215 to 230 kts my engine starts  running rough.  I have
sought out lots of experts and no conclusions to  date.  I need to install a
recordable engine monitor to diagnose the  problem but haven't had the time
yet plus I'm a little gun shy about going that  fast .  Tim