REFLECTOR: avionics shop on the field

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:37:20 CDT 2008

I have a Garmin GTX 330.  This is a mode S transponder.  I called the local
Moonlight avionics free lance guy that teaches at the local A&P school and
he came over.  Only after we got underway was it discovered that I have a
mode s transponder and he did not have a mode S test box.  He could not
certify me in any fashion without one due to paper work issues.

I then checked around several other places in town (Greenville SC) and no
one had a Mode S box.  The big defense subcontractors in town refused the
work because I was an experimental.  After my 40 hours are flown off, I plan
to take it somewhere where they have the proper test box and are willing to
work on experimentals.  Just thought I would throw this into the discussion.

ALSO...I am back in the air again after some time off learning how to due
belly repair~!!
Terry