REFLECTOR: FW: Aileron torque tube bearing

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jun 4 10:18:26 CDT 2008

Personally I think these bearings are of general poor quality.

General Bearing part#: 32264-88-302 - and as far as I know, are used
throughout the control system.

I removed the bearing today; and in the process carefully examined all the
related connections, screws, bracket, bellcrank shaft, etc.; and find no
signs of stress on anything else.  So my current view is that the bearing;
apparently made in China about 12 years ago, was flawed and failed. It only
had about 85 flight hours on it.

Considering that there are no axial loads on the bearing, I'm not much
concerned about the mounting of the flanged outer race held into the bracket
with screws.

Al