REFLECTOR: Aileron torque tube bearing

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 10:35:49 CDT 2008

I find that one of the aileron torque tube bearings at the bellcrank in the
engine compartment has failed. It now has about 1/16" play, and slack in the
controls is not a good thing. This seems a bit peculiar to me as the normal
motion is slow and limited, and the normal loads minimal.

Is this a unique occurrence, or have others had this happen?  The underlying
question is vibrational loads; lateral or torsional, that may have some
resonance - like in that 4-5 ft length of unsupported torque tube.

Al