REFLECTOR: Understanding limitations: Fuel

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 09:17:51 CDT 2008

In the very back corner of my strakes, at Malcolm Collier's suggestion, we

ran another fuel out line out to the sump.  I would presume all the fuel is

capable of draining into the sump tank when in level unaccelerated flight,

put what about maneuvering in a RH holding pattern with 3/4 inch of fuel,

and having the right wing outlets being uncovered.

Just a couple of thoughts.  On the SE RG the plans call for an additional
outlet at the rear of the strake behind the wheel well.  Being curious, I
decided to measure how much fuel would be unusable with the plane level if
you didn't have that outlet. It was only about 1 qt. All of the fuel in
front of the well would drain. Obviously the amount behind the well would be
more in a climb, but if you are in an extended climb with only a few quarts
of fuel remaining you have already made a serious mistake.  But even then
you could climb for five minutes on about a gallon of fuel that is in the
sump, and have the all but the quart feed back to the sump when back to
level. Irrelevant; but a thought.

Flying a coordinated turn is the same a being level as far as the fuel is
concerned; the lift vector being perpendicular to the plane.  It is,
perhaps, unlikely that our planes are perfectly trimmed anyway, so we should
assume some preferential flow from one side or the other even in level
flight.

I'm going for the atomic clock measuring the frequency of the cesium
atom:-).

Al