REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Jun 1 21:50:33 CDT 2008

Terry,

Naturally you cannot include in your flight planning any strake capacity
that won't actually drain to the sump.  That is physically "unusable".

The question of how much "usable" fuel you want to have on board at landing
at a minimum is a separate question, and is spoken to by both the FARs and
common sense.  Velocity aircraft generally have enough fuel capacity that it
isn't too hard to plan to have a reasonable and comfortable reserve.

In my original post I should more precisely have said, ". . . only consider
the USABLE capacity of the strake tanks in the capacity labeling".

Keith