REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Jun 1 20:54:48 CDT 2008

My tanks hold 30 gals each,  I consider 29 usable
with a 4 gallon sump with about 2-3 gallons  usable.

That said I ignore the sump in fuel planning.  I plan 58 gallons full
and my min VFR reserve is 10 gallons.  If I see that I will be getting
below 20 I do some real hard calculations to verify I really have that
much.  Yes I have fuel computer, gauges and site tubes.   It not
uncommon to be 30 minutes from any airport out here in the west.  And
that doesn't count pattern time.

I have landed with about 7 gallons on board once.  I thought I would
have about 12-13,but a stronger than forecast head wind ate up an
additional 5 gallons.  I was very uncomfortable.  As was my wife as she
watched me repeatedly acknowledge the low fuel  warning once one of the
tanks read below 5 gallons.

Scott