REFLECTOR: Shale oil

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Jul 30 19:41:38 CDT 2008

Isn't that the truth. Talk to all the environmentalists driving their SUV's
about this, since they don't want anyone to utilize this great source of
energy due to so called environmental hazards. Give me a break

Yes; but before we get too carried away; recognize that 'shale oil' isn't
oil, nor is it always present as a shale formation.  And it has to be mined
- not pumped-, and processed not so different from a metal ore.  Messy and
expensive.

Oil shale, a fine-grained sedimentary rock
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedimentary_rock> , contains significant
amounts of kerogen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerogen>  (a solid mixture
of organic chemical compounds
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound> ), from which technology
can extract liquid hydrocarbons <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocarbon> .
Authorities have described the name oil shale as a promotional misnomer
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misnomer> , since the rock does not
necessarily consist of a shale <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale>  and its
kerogen differs from crude <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum>  oil; it
requires more processing than crude oil, which affects its economic
viability as a crude-oil substitute and increases its environmental
impact.[1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale#cite_note-hubbel-0>

Oil shale has gained attention as an energy resource as the price of
conventional sources of petroleum has risen and as a way for some areas to
secure independence from external suppliers of energy.[7]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale#cite_note-evi-6> [8]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale#cite_note-doe-7>  At the same time,
oil shale mining and processing involve a number of environmental issues,
such as land use <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_use> , waste
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_management>  disposal, water use
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_resources> , waste-water
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_pollution>  management, greenhouse-gas