REFLECTOR: Affect of COLD weather

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jul 30 15:52:22 CDT 2008

If you can put your battery on a trickle charger that would help it out
when its really cold.

Be sure to do a thorough pre-heat. From -30, it would take quite a few
hours if not overnight to warm the entire engine up. If you have a good
digital cht gauge, you want to see at least 35-40 F on all cylinders for
most starts.

If you have mechanical gyros be sure to pre-heat the cabin also!  they
don't like that kind of cold any more than the engine does!  Also some
LCD's won't operate below about 30 degrees. It shouldn't hurt them but
it may take 5 minutes for them to warm up enough for you to read them.

Scott

--

     Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will
within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not

     Thomas Jefferson