REFLECTOR: Vesta Prop

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 18:43:07 CDT 2008

The one thing you must consider.  Constant speed or fixed pitch.  I have used them both on my XL.  I find that the CS is best.  Yes Catto's fixed pitch is good and if I had the fixed gear or a 200hp engine on the smaller Velo I would go the Catto fixed. But as far as the get up and go and then go fast then I would go with the CS.  The weight issue plays into the as you know.

For me, if I was flying the smaller Velos I would not use a CS prop at all. Unless I was having to fly out of a major high altitude airport as a routine.  It's not worth the cost or the problems that come with a CS prop.

Remember the blades I had repaired by Catto were MT's CS prop blades.
I did fly the Catto fixed pitch prop for a short while as well. That now is being used on a XL fixed gear.

My MT prop came in with the governor at 77lbs.  The Vesta is around 69lbs.  Haven't got the spinner all in there yet.
The Catto fixed pitch thee blade was in there around 30lbs.
Dave