REFLECTOR: OSH approach

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 15:02:27 CDT 2008

John
   I have never flown into OSH without being in a mass arrival  group (Glass
overcast, Airventure cup). I am going to give it a try this year  though. The
experience that I do have is flying into Sun-N-Fun every day of the  show for
years. I flew with the slower group most of the time and put myself in  some
dangerous situations in doing so. In holding around lake Parker   Controller:
"Nose to Tail, Nose to Tail, No Passing, Follow the Plane in  front of you"
The plane in front of us was a Cub at Half Throttle??????   Flying at 1200 ft
with the canard in a constant stall going around in circles  for 45 minutes.
    " tighten the  pattern up, Canard catch up to that plane in front of you"
it was a 172 and when  I did catch up, he pulled full flaps????  Those flaps
sure do look a lot  like brake lights when you're only 100 feet behind and 40
kts faster. Since  then I have flown in with the Faster planes. It's easier to
catch up - than slow  down, and they seem to be a little smarter in speed
management.
     Ken

In a message dated 7/23/2008 2:04:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,