REFLECTOR: recog light 2

Vance Atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 08:28:43 CDT 2008

About 15 years ago I decided I was tired of airliners running me down,
so I made a recognition light that I leave on around busy terminal
areas.  But where to put it?  Rutan had told me not to cut into the wing
for any reason..  So I put it in the strake area.  This has worked out
fairly well except for the light shining on the elevators.  At night
there is some scatter back from the R/H elevator.  I have dihedral in my
canard so the main light beam just barely clears it.

The arraignment has worked so well I have taken the belly light out and
sealed it up permanently.  It works very well as a landing light and
so-so as a taxi light, I set the aiming for level flt.  This is a
million candle power halogen  bulb I got out of JC  Whitneys catalog
where it was used as a hand held spotlight.  I made the lens from some
clear plastic using the piece I had cut out as a mold, very easy to do.

  Heres a picture, and the little fence on the inboard side is so the
passenger isent annoyed with the light shining in their peripheral
vision all the time.

vance atkinson