REFLECTOR: HID lamp cable length

Vance Atkinson nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Tue Jul 22 06:41:31 CDT 2008

jewen at comporium.net wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Are you considering installing in the leading edge of the canard.  I believe I read on the reflector in the past that someone tried to install a light in the canard leading edge and the len's radius was too sharp and it diffused the light to the point it was not effective.  You might want to try your lamp with a lens of the canard raduis before you start cutting into the canard.
>
> Joe
Hey guys..... if you are going to cut into the leading edge of the
canard you should do it out at the very edge by the tip as the leading
edge is structural and to cut into it would create quite a weak spot.
If you are an engineer, you can overcome this by building an appropriate
structure BEHIND the cutout to transfer the load.  I don't know how many
plys that would be, but the original shape of the leading edge makes it
a tough little son-of-a-gun even though there are not many plys to start
with.

To get an idea of how to do this, ask the factory how many plys are
around the gull wing doors to transfer the lateral load along the
fuselage............

Vance Atkinson
EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
COZY  N43CZ