REFLECTOR: HID lamp cable length

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jul 21 10:17:26 CDT 2008

Here I go talking to myself again.

I went and found some schematics online for HID drivers.  There are two
parts to the circuit:  A high frequency transformer (~20KHz.), and a
diode voltage multiplier like here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier .

Normally the bulb is a high impedance, read this as an air gap.  It
takes a bit of a spark to get it started similar to how flash bulbs
work.  Actually, is very close to a flash bulb except it stays lit.
Once the several Kvolts jumps across the gap, the resistance drops to
several ohms.  The arc is maintained from the transformer.

The high voltage starter is a DC source which is blocked by a capacitor,
and forced through the bulb.  Once the delta voltage across the bulb
drops, the high voltage source really doesn't deliver more than a few
milliamps.  However voltage multipliers are noisy!  You don't want an
antenna radiating this noise.

So, what Andy referred to as the module on the bottom of the bulb is
most likely the high voltage multiplier that keeps the noise down.

 From what I can tell researching patents; the digital ballasts are more
like modern power supplies that sense the output current and regulate it
with digital electronics rather than old analog feedback.  The digital
ones would seem to be much more efficient, but I'm not seeing a lot of
those claims in the literature I've found.  It would also seem that the
digital ballasts manage the ignition in a quieter way because they
theoretically would not need the multiplier.  Seems like a large
capacitor dumpped through the transformer would ignite as well as the
diode multiplier.

 From all this I surmised several things:
1) Yes, you can lengthen the cable from the ballast to the bulb.  Use
shielded twisted pair grounded at each end.  Yes, each end.  It makes
the assembly appear as a single enclosure.  This is different than
signaling and ground loop noise.
2) Digital ballasts should be quieter and more efficient.
3) Take Andy's advice on the bulb/igniter configuration.