REFLECTOR: Prudhomme Alternate Air

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 11:55:35 CDT 2008

I have been looking at the pictures of Jean Prudhomme's setup.  It is pretty
impressive.

Thanks for the link Doug!

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=engines%2Fplenum_jean_prudhomme

I have a question (of course)

My understanding of Alernate Air is that it provides the engine with air
should the filter become clogged with ice, snow or other debris.

If this is the reason for having it, then it makes sense to me that the
alternate air port must be AFTER the filter.  Prudhomme's alternate is on
the same side of the filter as the primary intake.  If the alternate air is
on the same side as the intake air, wouldn't it be as useless as the
original intake?  Filter is clogged, the engine can't pull from Prudhomme's
alternate any more than from the primary...

Andy