REFLECTOR: Alternate Air

doug.holub at tx.rr.com doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 19:05:03 CDT 2008

I'm doing my alternate air this week, too. I've got a fiberglass elbow that connects to the air intake. I'm cutting a square flap out of the bottom of that, and then putting it back in with a springy hinge on one edge. (That springy hinge will be one or two plies of bid.) When there is normal air pressure at the intake, the flap will remain closed. If something clogs the air filter, the resulting vaccuum will open the flap.

After I thought of doing it this way, I checked online to see if anyone else had done it that way. I found a couple of production airplanes that had "automatic alternate air" which were springy hinged flaps. One was the SR22, I think. It also has a microswitch on the flap so that the pilot will know when alternate air is being used.

Doug Holub
Waiting on the propeller. 68/78 two blade Prince P-tip. I ordered it in January.