REFLECTOR: Engine cooling NACA scoops

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Thu Jul 17 07:25:58 CDT 2008

There is no ducting.  The scoops (armpit) are right next to the
cylinders.  My CHT probes are on the top (hot) side and they are spark
plug probes.  I've been told that spark plug probes generally run around
50 degrees hotter than the bayonet probes and that the hot side of the
engine can be 50 degrees warmer than the cold side (bottom).  If I'm
flying in the pattern on a summer's day the CHTs will climb into the
high 400s.  I can get them down by pulling back power or leaning beyond
peak.  For my setup, I believe the CHTs should be no higher than about
430 degrees (which is approximately equivalent to 380 degrees on a
downdraft engine with bayonet probes).

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG