REFLECTOR: Engine cooling NACA scoops

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Wed Jul 16 19:16:58 CDT 2008

I have been struggling with marginal cooling on my STD FG equipped with
armpit scoops.  The only way I can keep cool enough during cruise is to
fly above 6000 feet and run LOP.  I have been somewhat successful at
bringing the temps down by repairing/reworking the baffling and seals as
well as doing a little rework on the scoops themselves but I'm still not
happy with it.  I'm seriously thinking about retrofitting it with the
overhead NACA  vents and downdraft cooling.  My question is:  Does
anyone have templates that I could borrow/acquire so I don't have to
guess about the size and positioning?  Also, should I expect to see a
small improvement in cruise speed with the NACAs after removing the
armpit scoops?

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG