No subject

Tue Jul 8 20:05:25 CDT 2008

If you look up  XeVision at http://www.xevision.com/  Look for the landing
light conversion kit.  They use a D1S bulb and they want $499 for the 35W
version.  For one light.

You might also see “digital ballast” advertised.  By using a computer to
control the ballast, it is possible to bring the light online a little
faster and shut it down in such a way as to extend the bulb life a bit.  For
my purposes it wasn’t anything to go out of my way for.  The light will come
online in plenty of time no matter what, and the bulb is probably going to
last longer than I need it anyway.

Once the research on HID was done, I knew what the difference was and I knew
what I wanted.  It was also pretty easy to find.  If you look on the eBay,
you will find complete systems with two of everything (removed from
automotive) for under $200.  A pretty good deal.  You can probably find
someone to split the set with you.

These systems can be found on the Internet and in salvage yards.  If the
bulb type is not known, look to see if the igniter is attached to the bulb.
If it is, you should be good-to-go.

I purchased my system on ebay.  Check out this store:
http://myworld.ebay.com/allstarautosalvage

They sell salvaged headlight units.  Many have a broken tab or a cracked
enclosure.  I didn’t need the headlight, I wanted the guts.  He lists the
headlight by make, model and year.  It is important that it is listed as
“HID/Xenon components included”; they aren’t always.  I found a Corvette
headlight, 2001-2005 with the goodies; lower mounting tab was broken.   A
little more research and I confirmed the high beam for that model/year was a
D1S HID.

I bought the thing and had it for $39; including shipping.  Everything
worked like a champ.  They were quality OSRAM components.  I stole it.

He currently has a Toyota Avalon headlight for sale:
http://tinyurl.com/59f2zy  It contains all the HID goodies (I’m pretty sure
this is a D1R).  D1R and D1S bulbs are interchangeable.

Here is a complete OSRAM system, same as mine, shown working, on the bay
http://tinyurl.com/5fsykd

The part that is not so easy to find is the PAR-36 reflector with the focal
dimension we need.  I could not find a spot on XeVision’s site where you
could just purchase the PAR-36.  I was not deterred.  I downloaded the
Interwebs and searched it.  :)

http://www.duckworksav.com/upgrades.html

Duckworks sells light upgrade kits for RVs.  Their landing light is the same
PAR-36 we use.

Don Wentz is the owner.  Nice guy.  He will sell you just the PAR-36,
modified for the D1S HID.  It was $53 delivered.

Don also has a very reasonable kit, with the D1S HID, ballast, cable and
reflector for $290 (if you want to go that way)

 It has a special machined fitting on the back to hold the igniter.  It is a
very nice piece.  This is what my installation looks like.

Click to Enlarge <http://www.kal-soft.com/velocity/images/pic1294l.jpg>

Retract guys will need to do some extra work.  I believe the nose gear comes
very close to the landing light and it could interfere with the igniter.
Another good reason to get fixed gear .    O_o

With a little looking and some patients, I have an HID photon cannon for
around $100.  The sucker is VERY bright.  I fired it up and it was like
Rudolph.  People were shielding their eyes and telling me to “turn that
thing down.”  In the plane, there is so much light that the nose glows; at
least until I get some paint on it.

I hope you found this entertaining, and possibly useful.

Andy

Andy Millin

amillin at sbcglobal.net