REFLECTOR: Bendix Fuel Servo Failure

romott at mi-connection.com romott at mi-connection.com
Fri Jul 4 08:48:28 CDT 2008

I sold my Velocity.  The  new owner experienced a total failure of the
fuel servo. He was flying at 10,500 feet when the engine (Lycoming IO360)
just totally quit.  Luckily he glided to a nearby airport and landed
safely.

I am very surprised that there would be a total failure - no fuel was
being delivered by the servo. A check of the mechanical and electric fuel
pumps shows normal fuel pressures.  The fuel tanks are 3/4 full on both
sides.  The mechanic rigged up a fuel hose and injected fuel directly into
the servo throat and the engine ran. Pull the fuel hose out and the engine
quit.

Any one know enough about the Bendix fuel servo to know what could happen
to cause a total fuel flow disruption?

THANKS
Ronnie Brown