REFLECTOR: Velocity video

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Thu Jan 31 23:48:19 CST 2008

John Dibble wrote:

> I believe
> that for the stall test, had I not pulled back on the stick and instead used my trim
> button, I would have achieved a lower speed where the main wing would have stalled and
> the canard kept flying (deep stall).  This is just theory as I'm not willing to try
> it.  This is my reason for recommending never to trim for level flight at a speed less
> than 80 kn.
>
> John
Interesting theory indeed.  'Makes sense too.  I would also think that
as long as the canard is still flying (not stalled) you should be able
to recover from the 'deep stall'.  Like you, I don't think I'd want to
experiment with that though.

I have, on occasion, used your technique when I'm coming in a bit too
high on final (above the glideslope).  That is, I'll pull back on the
stick and cut the throttle slowing down close to stall speed.  It drops
pretty fast when I do that. I think the nose up attitude and the CS prop
at fine pitch provides a lot of drag.  But I always pull out of that
condition (I guess on the backside of the 'power curve') and get back to
somewhere around 75-80 kts as I approach the runway. Usually I have to
put in a little power too else I slip below the glideslope.

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG