REFLECTOR: Canard stall speed

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jan 31 09:34:46 CST 2008

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity video

A canard stall speed <55 knots for an SE is much lower than I would expect.
I thought that the standard wing/fuselage was expected to mush around 70 and
the large wing/standard fuselage ("173") @ 60 knots. AM I confusing knots
with MPH? Larry Epstein
173 FGE

Larry; my SE RG begins to stall (mush) at about 70 kts with the gear down.
And that's with pulling back on the stick until there is significant down
deflection of the elevators.  That's with the plane at about 1950 lbs and
the C.G. in the 'first flight' box (119 - 120 inches).

The stall characteristics seem to differ from plane to plane, but certainly
a lighter plane with CG further aft will give a lower speed stall.  I don't
know how much the stall varies with CG and load.  Maybe that's something
I'll check sometime, but better yet, if someone else (Scott B?) has info on
this perhaps they'd like to share.

Al

  _____