REFLECTOR: Velocity video

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Jan 31 08:55:06 CST 2008

My understanding for the standard fuselage is 70 kn at gross weight, or
heavy weight up front and 60 kn solo/low fuel.  In practice my stall
speed is around 60 kn either solo or 2 up front.  I don't have much
experience landing at full load.  I know my pitot is accurate in climb
out at 1500-2000 fpm.
In the flare, the 55 kn refers to the main wing.  The canard still flies
at that speed and I don't know how low the stall speed is.  There are
two factors that lower the canard stall speed.  First is ground effect
which lowers the stall speed.  The second, I believe, is the elevator.
It seems to me that with the elevator in the down (trim up) position, it
acts like a flap and reduces the canard stall speed.  The further down
the elevator is, the lower the stall speed should be.  I don't know how
far down my elevator is in the flare because I haven't been able to look
while landing.  I know it is further down at full stop than if I landed
at a higher speed.

John