REFLECTOR: Velocity video

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Jan 30 22:36:36 CST 2008

OK.  I should begin with the pattern as I feel everything adds up when
it comes to a good landing.  First of all, keep the pitch trimmed for
hands off throughout the final leg.  Speed brakes aren't needed.  If
you're high on final, just pull back on the stick and slow down to stall
speed.  The initial nose up attitude will make it seem like you're going
to fly to the next county, but in several seconds you will be pleasantly
surprised to be on the glide slope.  My power off stall is a mush, so I
barely notice anything when stalling on final.  However an observer on
the ground told me it looked like I was falling out of the sky.  My
stall speed is 60 kn and I have found no problems being at 60 kn on
short final/round out.  After round out I let it sink down, holding it a
ft or less off the ground.  At 55 kn, the mains slowly sink and gently
touch down with no pilot input while the canard keeps flying (guess that
is a deep stall, but not a problem when you're close to the ground).
Then I nudge the stick forward to get the nose coming down and it is
real easy to lower it gently to the ground.
As far as the canard stalling and the nose slamming the ground, I have
had many hard nose landings at higher speeds.  I think the main cause is
not having the pitch trimmed for hands off at all times during the
landing procedure.  The trim spring greatly limits how much you can move
the elevator and makes it difficult to let the canard down easy, making
it seem like the canard stalled when in fact you just couldn't pull back
as fast or much as necessary.  I will caution when in LEVEL flight, not
to trim the pitch for hands off at a speed of less than 80 kn as that
could result in a deep stall.  However when in the flare, trimming at
slower speeds is OK, since you want the mains to stall first.
Keep in mind that I fly an SERG.  The XLs may behave differently.

John