REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not?

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:51:27 CST 2008

Finished installing the fuel bulkheads; since it may take a few days until I
receive from Velocity the Jeffco, fuel gauge and the sight gauge that I
ordered, I think I'm going to go ahead and also flange the bulkheads.

The manual says that one should keep a distance of 3/16'' between B&B and
the upper strake (with no flange).  I'm assuming that large gap is useful to
give the goop some room to find its way on the strake.  Do we need a similar
gap (which looks huge to me) when we flange the bulkheads?

I noticed that Andy Millin kept the same 3/16'' gap between his flanges and
the strake, while Rich Guera didn't (as far as I can guess from the pictures
on his website, he actually did not flange, but rather put the goop in two
steps: (1) an initial one with the strake taped, and (2) a final slimmer one
without tape).

Keeping a large distance between the flange and the strake appears to be
more difficult, because one needs some thick tape ... I'd rather use 4-5
layers of duct tape on the top strake instead, but I'm affraid that that
could be too small of a gap?

Grigore